2006 was either the best year ever or the worst year ever. it definitely was not the average year for me. allow me to list the major events:
- ice pilots finish the 05-06 hockey season with a horrible record
- ice pilots go through the first half of the 06-07 hockey season with the worst record in the ECHL
- flyers get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round
- flyers end the first half of the 06-07 hockey season with the worst record in the NHL
- i went to spain... but halfway through the trip i got some horrible illness that sucked some of the fun out of it. i didn't fully get over it until i'd been home for two weeks. yes, i sounded like a lifelong smoker with emphysema for approximately two and a half weeks. and yes, that sucked.
- my mom almost died (obviously, this was the worst thing that happened in my life all year. actually, it's probably the worst thing that's ever happened in my world.)
- a good friend's mom passed away (she had cancer)
- another good friend's dad almost died (a hole in his esophagus caused his lungs to collapse. he had surgery, was in intensive care for about a month, but is now doing physical therapy.)
- i went to maine. i froze my ass off, but it was a blast.
- i went to spain
- i ran with bulls in spain
- i made friends and contacts that will help me throughout my career in both places
- the gulf coast was hurricane free
- i successfully completed all four field experiments i had planned (this is major - for once no hurricanes came along to destroy them like in 2005)
- i got my prospectus approved
- chad and i bought a house
- my mom got better
here's hoping that 2007 is on a more even keel than 2006... or that the good stuff happens without those pesky bad parts.